Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I felt like running more

The 13 week half marathon plan I developed called for a 2 mile easy
run at 12:52 per mile on Monday. I had an 18 hour layover in
Bentonville, AR. We stay at a nice Wingate Inn, right off the airport
property, which has an indoor pool and hottub. I've mapped out several
running routes there and modified the 4 mile route and made it a 3.5
mile with a 1 mile warmup and 3/4 mile cool down.

I wore my ankle support for the first time while running and I think
it helped a bit. I'm going to continue to use it as my runs get longer
and faster I'm hoping that it will give my ankle just a bit more
support to let my posterior tendon completely heal.

The first mile was on a nice wide road with a few rolling hills. I
arrived at mile one right at 12:30. The second mile was on a dirt/
gravel road. The third mile was on a skinny two lane road and the
last .5 was on a wide road. I really like running around there. I very
rarely see any cars and sometimes run in the middle of the left hand
lane. Since the asphalt slants down on the outside my left foot wants
to slide outward when I step.

I did a 2min run, 1min walk and I felt fine. I believe that I'll soon
be able to pick up the pace a little. However, before I do that I'm
going to start a 3min run, 1min walk on my next run.

I ended up at 3 miles with a time of 43:44 which was right on pace for
an expected 12:30 pace.

3 comments:

  1. Just read your profile...that is such a great idea to donate a dollar for every mile you run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise. We already donate every month to St Jude. This way it gives me even more of something to work for rather than just looking forward to the next race or event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Brian! And thanks for the kind comment on my blog.

    Sounds like we have a lot in common: the St. Jude Marathon (and fundraising, which I did for 2007) and tendon issues (and braces!)

    ReplyDelete