Monday, June 29, 2009

UPS Ultimate 5k




I had originally signed up for the UPS Ultimate 10k, however after a lot of running and walking all over Boston I decided to do the 5k. I was even considering walking most of that. I did not let myself down. I walked about 2 of the 3 miles to finish in 42:28. I started way in the back and took it easy. I set my watch for a 2min run, 1min walk interval then abandoned that after a mile. I just ran when I felt like it and walked when I needed to.

My friend Bill ran too and he finished with his best 5k, 29:30. His wife was there at the finish line with him when I arrived. After I looked at the photo below I again was reminded how we are dressed alike. We didn't plan that. We just both knew it was going to be really hot. At 8am, the start time, it was 86* with over 60% humidty. I'm glad that I ran with my Camelbak water bottle since they only had one water stop after mile 2.


I knew that I would still be recovering from Thursdays run in Boston. I didn't realize how much though. The arch of my left foot hurt which tells mr that my tendon was or still is inflamed. It seems that whenever I go over 5-6 miles that it gets that way. I can run 2-3 miles almost every day but pushing past 40 or so minutes I guess is too much. Plus my regular routine has been to run, ice, and elevate my feet after every run. I wasn't able to do this in Boston while running downtown. I did ice both feet once I got back to the hotel but that was after 6mi running and 8mi walking.

This Friday, July 3, is the St Jude Firecracker 5k. I hope to be well enough to run nonstop. No times, no goals, just finish without walking would be nice.


There was a band playing some folksy type music at the end of the race. Their name was Social Remedy. They have a myspace page that I need to check out.


This is one of the age group medals. I like the UPS brown.


This is one of the overall winners trophies. This one went to the overall male winner.



No comments:

Post a Comment