Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mountaineer 5k



I ran the Mountaineer 5k at Shelby Farms this morning. My slowest 5k ever at 37:45. I'm ok with that and I'm happy that I feel ok to run. I haven't received the results back from my MRI yet but I feel fine and I want to at least keep a little fitness that I've gained over the winter. I tried Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run method again. I changed it a bit to 2-1-3-1. I think I'll change it back to 2min run followed by 1 min walk and repeat. There were a few times during the 3 min run that I was looking at my watch and wanted to start walking.

I wanted to really take it easy and try to average 12 mins per mile. The first mile was 11 mins so I had to really slow down a bit. The second was 12:33 and the third was 12:53. The only discomfort I had was while running the first 2 miles I had some outer shin pain, mostly on my left leg. After the the second mile it went away as it usually does, after I get warmed up.

It was a perfect day for a race, cloudy around 72 deg and sometimes a little mist. Can't ask for better than that. It was a well run race and everyone seemed to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

Bill and I rode our bikes from my house and rode the course beforehand. We had an idea of where the course would go but wanted to check it out anyway. They didn't list a description of the course online. We then changed shoes and shorts and ran the race. I rode home soon afterwards because I had to pick up Piper. Bill rode down to the WRT.

Going on a 4 day trip tomorrow and will try to run a few times. The Race Down Memory Lane 10k is next Saturday. That may be a bit too far to run for now and I may just push Piper in her stroller again on the 'Family Fun Run'.

No comments:

Post a Comment