Friday, May 29, 2009

MRI and a 2 mile run

I went to visit Dr Hendrix early yesterday morning to get my MRI test results. Nothing important was found, no bone breaks and no ruptured tendons. They did find that I have an accessory navicular bone. Some people have a larger foot bone just beneath the inside of your ankle. I am one of these fortunate people. However, this plus I over pronate and have been wearing crappy shoes while running and working and wearing flat flip flops with no support have led to my Tendinitis. He said that I should continue wearing the orthotics that he gave me as well as wearing shoes all the time which should help the tendon to heal and start supporting the arch as it should. I told him that I have been running just a bit and I feel fine. He said that I can continue running as long as it didn't hurt and that if I noticed the area below my ankle to swell that I should ice it immediately and take some Advil or Aleve and stay off of it.

Before I picked up Piper from school I went running at Bert Fergusen park. I walked a lap, 1 mile, to warm up and then ran two miles using a 1:45 run - 1:00 walk method. I felt fine the whole time and didn't even have any shin pains. When Piper and I got home my foot felt a bit 'fatigued' so I got a big bowl, put ice and water in it and then stuck my left foot in it for a few minutes. I could only stand a few minutes since it was so cold but I think that if my tendon was starting to swell or anything then the ice water sure stopped that.

I continued to wear my Asics shoes all night and my ankle never hurt or had that burning sensation. It felt good all night and feels great now.

I think this will be my routine for a while:
  • Run easy miles
  • Ice Bath for foot afterwards
  • Wear shoes all the time for support
Tomorrow is the Race Down Memory Lane supporting Memphis Alzheimers patients. Piper and I are going to get up early and do the fun run.

No comments:

Post a Comment