Friday, May 15, 2009

New Runnin' Shoes




I've needed new running shoes and today was the day. I took Piper to school this morning then went for a 2 mile walk/run on the Wolf River Trails. I felt great running half of the outing.

Stacie and I went to lunch at Osaka then we both went to the New Balance store in Cordova. Stephen, the store manager was very helpful and I tried on 3 pairs of shoes. I measured a 12 on their Brannock scale. I tried the NB 1106's, 1123's and 1124's all with my orthotics. The 1123's were my favorite from that group. I purchased a higher arch orthotic and told Stephen that I wanted to visit Breakaway Running and Fleet Feet to try on every good Motion Control shoe available in town.

I took Stacie home, since it was almost time to gi pick up Piper. I went to Breakaway Running next. There I met Stacy (I guess her name is spelled this way, my Stacie is the only one that spells her name with 'ie'. I told Stacy about my overpronating, Posterior Tibial Tendinitis and she had me step on their fancy footpad computer thingy. It showed me as not having as flat a foot as I thought. My left arch was lower, which was no surprise. Then I did the walk/gait test. I walked across the pad left foot then right foot. This showed a normal step with my right foot and a pronounced overpronation with my left foot. We then measured my feet which on their scale came to 11.5. I tried Asics, Brooks and Saucony's all with my orthotics. I ran outside for a while in each shoe while Stacy watched my gait. She commented that most were correcting my overpronation and were giving me a correct normal stride. The choice came down to the Asics 2140 and the Saucony Hurricane. Both fit my foot well and I had to try them on both again and run outside for a bit longer. Finally I tried on the Saucony on my right foot and the Asics on my left. I ran outside and walked back and really noticed that the Asics provided much more mid and forefoot cushioning. I'm a midfoot striker so this made up my mind.


With my MRTC 15% discount the Asics 2140 cost $90. I was very pleased with the shoe and and getting a pair for less than $100. I very much recommend visiting Stacy at Breakaway Running, she will fit you right. Breakaway is located at 552 South Mendenhall, Memphis, 901-766-7600.

No comments:

Post a Comment